Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Salt-Infused Jiggling Bellies

Pacing itself with the utmost reservation, and a few classic spikes along the way, the temperature is breaking out of winter's icy hold and creeping toward the mild double-digits of spring. And I inevitably, along with women all across the nation, have declared that this is the year I'm going to get into top-notch bikini-bod shape.

"Finally," I e-mailed my girlfriends, "I'm going to feel good at the beach. I'm starting to eat right and workout and I am going to feel comfortable in a bikini this summer." Then, I happily skipped to the grocery store in just a sweater and scarf because the 44 degree day was "so warm!" and, at the store I stocked up fruits, celery, low-sodium turkey cold cuts, and oatmeal - all the things that make me confident that this July 4th, I'll be posing for bikini pics sans cover-up and without the tell-tale "I'm sucking it in right nowwww" smile. 

But, all too predictably, the dreary days of March will stretch on, the corned beef will be eaten on St. Patty's day, the April weather will welcome not post-work runs along the water but instead ever-lasting happy hours complete with fried and fatty appetizers and, later, late-night greasy pizza. And, when beach weather comes along I'll be sporting a nice salt-bloat and a merrily jiggling belly.

In the meantime, I'm still sticking to plan and trying my best to cut a lot of sodium out of my diet. And, you know what? It's really hard. I told my friends the other week that the three things I was most thankful for were (in this order): opposable thumbs, the leggings trend, and salt. Now, I venture to take back the salt comment.

Do you know what foods have a ton of sodium? All of the good ones. You know what foods don't have very much sodium? The dumb ones. So, on day three of my reduced-sodium kick, I give myself 100-to-1 odds that I won't fight the craving and, in a couple hours, my grubby little paws will be digging into the bottom of the bag of pretzels for the saltiest scraps while my belly giggles and jiggles away...

No comments:

Post a Comment